Saturday 13 February 2016

Well done good and faithful servant

Today I attended the final service of Father Mark Beale as his congregation and community farewelled him on his retirement. Well actually it was a farewell for both him and his wife Barbara. I'd forgotten how much of the service in an Anglican church, like the Methodist church that I grew up in, includes quite a bit of ceremony. And it wasn't just that this was a special occasion for the church, although I'm sure there was some of that...but quite a bit of time is taken up with rituals. Anyway, I kind of enjoyed the change and it was good to see so many faces from the past and from around our school/ Clendon community.
What came to me in thinking about all of the things shared about Mark's work in the community in his role as a pastor/ minister/ father, is that you've just got to do what He has called you to do and do it in faith, and in service. A good servant is one who will do what is needed, what is before them, even if they don't always want to in the physical sense...but they know they have been called and they know that He doesn't just ask of us for no good reason. I don't know if when I leave Roscommon after having been there for so long if I want to hear the accolades of the work, His work that I have been a part of...but I guess it's in glorifying Him and all that He does and can do through his faithful servants, that when we look back on this work...we see Him and His purpose, His glory...and that is what a good an faithful servant does...glorifies God. Funnily enough, the song that played quite a bit throughout the service was 'Glorify'..."Glorified, glorified...let your name be lifted up and glorified. Let the earth, tremble at your name. Let your name be lifted up and GLORIFIED".
In a lifetimes work and over a long period, I guess one can work that out...that is our selfish nature as we learn to become more servant like, Christ like...we don't start out always good or totally faithful. I know I was far from those things and often find myself having to learn to be a better person and less doubtful on His call for my life. But as I step out in faith and I trust Him with my life and to lead me, I know I am continuing to become more like him...good and faithful. God is always good and always faithful. And for that, I am truly grateful. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment